So you want to find your dream job, what’s stopping you? Are you stuck in a rut at work and do you need a change but don’t know what you want to do? Maybe you’re unhappy at work and ready to move on but can’t decide where to go. Are you looking for a change in career and not sure what career to choose?
Here are 7 questions to help you find your dream job:
1) What are you passionate about?
Are there particular issues you are passionate about? What get’s you excited.
2) What comes naturally to you and when do you feel in a great state of flow?
Mihaly Csiksgentmihalyi describes Flow, The Secret to Happiness in his TED Talk.
Which experiences have you found the most fulfilling? And why? This can be in and out of work etc. It helps to understand what you don’t like so also write down experiences you haven’t enjoyed. And why?
3) What are your strengths?
What do you think you’re good at and what do others say you’re good at? Why is that? Are there specific times when your strengths have been put into action?
4) What are your values?
What do you believe in? What types of people do you want to work with? What’s important to you at work? And why? Maybe you value work-life balance or freedom to work from home sometimes. Maybe you appreciate social responsibility, loyalty, openness or honesty etc. This is an excellent question for identifying which companies would be great to work for. Choose a company that has similar values to you.
5) What is your longer-term ambition?
Do you want to do more of the things you love doing, or you are passionate about? Do you want to have a role that uses more of one of your strengths? Think big, if you were asked to do a TED Talk in 10 years time what would you dream it would be about?
6) Which careers, companies and roles are closely aligned with your passions, flow, strengths, values and longer-term ambition?
It helps to share the above with your family and friends and get their opinions too. They may have some great ideas for careers, companies, and roles that you may like that you haven’t thought of. Play around with this and revisit it. Sometimes writing it down on a table can help too.
Long Term Ambitions
Careers/Companies and Roles
7) Now, what can you do in the next week, month and three months to head towards the career, company, and role that you want?
Do you need to update your resume, network to look for opportunities, find some training to upskill? Also, consider what may get in the way of these and work through to resolve.
“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” Confucius
Here are some blog posts to help you get your next job:
- How to Write a Killer Resume
- 60+Words to “Power Up” your Resume from Good to Amazing!
- How to Write Resume to Get You Past the ATS and Get an Interview
- How to Create a Linkedin Profile Recruiters Love in 11 Easy Steps
- How to get the Job You Want and Earn More?
- How to Identify Your Personal Brand and Why You Need One
- How to Promote Your Personal Brand to Boost Your Earning Potential
Are you ready to start ROCKING YOUR LIFE?
Welcome to Work It Sister!
I’m Jo! I’m a career, relationship and healthy living coach. I help women who’ve had major setbacks in their career, relationships and health who feel like they’ve lost their mojo start ROCKING their life with the ROCK YOUR LIFE METHOD…woohoo!
On my blog I share some tools, tips and shizzle that works to help you get back on top and start rocking your life again….woohoo!
Check out my blogs on:
I’m busy rocking my life as a career, relationship and healthy living coach and doing all the things I love like yoga, pilates, meditation and exploring happiness. Learn more about me here….peace and love always…Jo xxx
If you enjoyed this post pin it for later or share with your friends on social media!